Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Film Music

I love film music. It is truly a unique art form in that it attempts to help films evoke an emotion response. When the composer gets it right, things are truly magical. Some of my favorite composers (among many) are Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Michael Giacchino, John Powell, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, and of course John Williams. I also enjoy the music of Erich Korngold, who wrote the music to Robin Hood and the Sea Hawk, both with Errol Flynn. I was just reading in the Wall Street Journal that his concert music is enjoying a resurgence. It is good to know that great music never dies. It might go out of favor for a while, but it always makes a come back.

I was disappointed that John Williams did not win an oscar this year. He seems to be nominated every year, but has not won in a very long time. Maybe the film industry has grown tired of his work, but I have not. I have enjoyed every score he has written over the last few years. Now the composer who won the Oscar (Steven Price) did fine job in the movie Gravity, but John Williams is clearly the master. Hopefully the Academy will recognize him for his accomplishments before it is too late. He is after all 82!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment