Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Have to - want to

I have noticed that whenever I tell myself I have to do something, it usually doesn't get done very well, if at all. Or, if I tell myself I have to do something I usually do not enjoy doing it. Now, if I tell myself I want to do something then it is something I usually get done fairly quickly, with a good attitude, and the quality is much better. So who decides whether something is a have to or a want to? The one who decides is me! I am the one who decides if anything I do is a have to or a want to. So, if I want to change the experience I'm having with whatever it is I am doing, all I have to do is change my attitude. I just need to change whatever it is I'm doing for a have to, to a want to. The way I do that is by changing the words I use to describe what it is I'm going to do.

For example, I can just change from "I have to go to work" to "I want to go to work". I can change from "I have to write a blog post", to "I want to write a blog post". The truth is that there are no "have too". Ultimately everything in life is a choice. Sure, if you do not do something important you might get fired, or end up in jail, or... you get the idea. But everything is still a choice. So why not change your "have to" into a "want to"? All you need to do is change one word. I am going to give this a try for a while. I am going to change my "have to" into a "want to". Let's see what happens.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment