Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Economy - Teen Employment

Now that my son has a job I wanted to see how the employment figures look for teens (16-19). Things do not look good for teens. Back in 2000 45% of teens had some kind of job. I remember this well since I was teaching high school band at the time. I had quite a few upperclassmen who had jobs (I remember having to call McDonald's to make sure my key trumpet player had the day off for a competition). Last year I had very few students who had jobs and did not have to worry about conflicts with work schedules. That's because teen employment has fallen to 26% (with most of them not working very many hours). The economy is supposed to be rebounding, but the reality is that it is not. Yes we had some better numbers in the last employment report, but in the real world teens are not working, 19-25 year olds aren't working, and college grads are not getting jobs in the fields in which they studied (if they are getting jobs at all). Things are not healthy in the real world.

What do you think?

For more:
http://news.investors.com/economy/050914-700380-teen-job-crisis-mirrors-shrinking-labor-market.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment