Thursday, February 18, 2016

The driverless future

A few days ago I wrote a blog post about how there does not seem to be any disruptive new technology on the horizon. I think I was wrong. I think we have a specific technology that will probably transformer our lives over the next couple of decades. It is the driverless car and truck. The car or truck that drives itself is truly something right out of science-fiction. It seems impossible that one day we will not have to drive ourselves to work, or all the trucks we see around us as we drive will not have a driver. The reality is that someday soon we will start seeing driverless vehicles on the roads around us. At first it will be just a trickle of vehicles. Just a novelty. Eventually that trickle will turn into a flood and then almost all the vehicles on the road will be driverless. As I think about this, I'm struck by how much our lives might change if we all had driverless vehicles. Just imagine that you are on your way to work and you can do something else with your time instead of driving. Imagine all the productive things you can do? (Of course there are also a host of unproductive things you can do as well). But can you imagine not having to drive when you need to go some place? Here I am at this very moment driving into work. How amazing it is going to be when I could freely write, and think, and do something creative while I'm on my way. I think driverless vehicles are going to transform our lives.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment