Monday, April 7, 2014

Observations - Is A College Degree Worth It?

I have a degree in music education which has provided me with a nice living for about 20 years now as a public school music teacher in California. Was it worth it? I believe it was, plus I received a good education not only in music, but generally as well. Would I do it today? No! First, a music education degree will not get you a job since there are fewer and fewer positions available every year. Second, being a public school teacher is not what it used to be. It's not enjoyable or challenging anymore. Finally, have you seen what it costs to get a degree today? It's through the roof! I know we have to take inflation into account, but that does not justify the current cost. It's in the tens of thousands, and that's for the least expensive colleges. Unless you can afford college (or you have a scholarship) my recommendation is to go straight into the workforce and find another way to make a living.

What do you think?

For more: http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/is-college-a-waste-of-time-and-money

No comments:

Post a Comment