One issue most people deal with is procrastinating. What is procrastinating? It is putting things off till the last minute, or putting things off until as long as possible. I am a procrastinator. I like to wait till the last minute or wait as long as possible on many things. Sometimes this works out for me in that I might end up not having to do something. Many times though, I end up having to work long hours or give up some personal time to get something done. So why do we procrastinate? Some reasons include:
* Avoiding a difficult task - if we perceive that a task is difficult is so way, we will put it off as long as possible to avoid the difficulty.
* Low self-esteem/confidence - if we feel we aren't able to do something, we will put it off or avoid doing it.
* Perfectionism - if we think we have to do something perfectly, then we might avoid doing it because we feel we will never make it perfect.
* Poor habits - maybe we have developed habits that keep us from doing what we need to do.
* Fear - most of everything that keeps us from acting is a form of fear.
* Not knowing where or how to start - this is especially true if the task is big.
How do you deal with these issues? You first identify why you procrastinate, and then you deal with each issue by getting started on the task you are procrastinating in. Stop avoiding and get started. Stop feeling that you can't do it, and get started. It's never going to be perfect, so get started. Turn off the TV or get off that social media site and get started. Feel the fear and get started. Finally, it does not matter where or how you start, pick a spot and get started. The key to beating procrastination is to get started.
What do you think?